Thursday 5 May 2016

B&W Conversions

As an experiment for my final output, I have converted several images that could work in Black & White, I prefer the look of the more candid, off the pitch images in this format as I tend to relate sports action photography to colour imagery. As with some of my research Black & White photography relies heavily on dark tones to produce images with high contrast, for these to be effective in my project I will need to revisit them in Photoshop.










I have also done some research into the success of Black & White sports images and that they rarely work with action but look great with abstract views, portraits and other candid images if the photographer ensure the conditions are just right to produce contrast rich images, such as this selection from the Guardian's Tom Jenkins' 2015 collection. There are also other practical uses I can take from these images to however as they are very tightly composed  or cropped so the frame's attention is firmly on the subject matter, and from using a telephoto lens at the Rugby World Cup, to a wider 50mm Prime Lens for the two portraits, a shallow depth of field effects how the images appear.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/dec/31/tom-jenkins-best-sports-photos-of-2015

All Blacks - RWC 2015
Anthony Joshua - Brentwood Gym
Ronnie O'Sullivan - SWC 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment